The Canadian Senior and Intermediate Mathematics Contests (CSMC and CIMC) are two contests designed to give students the opportunity to have fun and to develop their mathematical problem-solving ability.
- Students in Grade 10 or 9 or below are eligible to write the CIMC.
- Students in Grade 12 or 11 and CÉGEP students are eligible to write the CSMC.
Written in November. Visit Our Contests for dates and deadlines for the current year.
- 9 questions; 6 are answer only and 3 are full-solution
- 2 hours
- Score out of 60
- Marks are awarded for completeness, clarity, and style of presentation. A correct solution, poorly presented, will not earn full marks.
- Written by individuals on paper
- Some calculators permitted
Most of the CIMC problems are based on the mathematical curriculum up to and including Grade 10. Most of the CSMC problems are based on the mathematical curriculum up to and including the final year of secondary school.
- Teachers can arrange to have students write the contest in the classroom or remotely and are responsible for ensuring that students are supervised appropriately.
- Whether students are writing the contest in class or remotely, all of the contest materials should be returned to the CEMC in one package for marking.
- Results will be sent to the Contest Supervisor by email and will also be available in the Contest Supervisor Portal six to eight weeks after the contest date.
- Visit Contest Supervision to learn more about what’s involved in supervising a CEMC contest.
For students writing remotely:
- Remote students should pick up their physical Solution Booklet and Student Information Form from their school before contest day.
- If students are not able to access the school, Contest Supervisors also have the option of sending electronic copies of the contest materials to their students. Instructions for this option are available in Contest Material Repository after logging in to the Contest Supervisor Portal.
Results and Recognition
University of Waterloo Admissions
Please note that the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo recommends that applicants to the Faculty
write the Canadian Senior Mathematics Contest (CSMC). To be eligible for entrance scholarships, it is strongly recommended that applicants write either the Euclid or the
Canadian Senior Mathematics Contest (CSMC).
To learn more about our contests, follow the links below to get started:
Get in Touch
Questions? We invite you to contact us.